Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Music Makes the World Go 'Round

 Tackling the issue of music for my capstone documentary is a challenge that is easier said than done. Taking any song from YouTube and putting in your film won't cut it as you have to have copyright access to the music. Luckily I have some connections that have helped me get around this barrier. First meet JD Eicher and the Goodnights. This band is comprised mostly of people that went to Westminster College a few years ago. Their most recent album Shifting reaches out to listeners with detailed pictures of love, struggle and hope. This fits right with where my capstone is heading with its storyline. I have emailed JD who has given me permission to use the band's songs. All I need to do is put the band in the credits to help promote their music. I feel this is more than a fair trade off. I'm very excited about being able to work with some of their hit songs.     


One track from the album  Shifting which I plan on utilizing is a song called Beauty of It All. An uplifting song, I feel that it can really tie my whole story together. Take a listen below.






Another musical resource that I have at my disposal is a close family member with quite a talent. My uncle Mark Underhill (featured to the far right in the picture) got together with a couple of co-workers years ago to form a band called Island Doom. Primarily a cover band they would go from venue to venue playing classic hits from the 80s all the way to today. My uncle Mark is the lead guitarist with the band and he is working with me to come up with a couple of instrumentals to use throughout the capstone. I've sent him a couple of video clips to help him understand the type of tone that I am looking for at certain parts of the documentary.

Overall I am looking forward to enhancing my documentary with the world of music. Together with JD Eicher and the Goodnights and my uncle Mark I hope that I can make my film have that much more of an impact.

To learn more about JD Eicher and the Goodnights or Island Doom check out the links below.

http://www.jdeicherandthegoodnights.com/

http://islanddoom.com/

Stay tuned for more updates on my capstone documentary!



No comments:

Post a Comment