Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Change is a Good Thing

The event that is really shaping my documentary is the wedding of Scott and Sarah Coy. If you'll notice, I have changed the title of my documentary from From the Ground Up to 4th and a Miracle. Taking a look at the situation as a whole really helped me shape this title. From where Scott Coy was after falling from the Opryland Hotel to where he is now (alive, healthy, married, having a son and returning to work), it truly is a miracle. Take that and add in a football pun, you now have my new and improved title.

Sarah giving Scott a kiss at the hospital



Looking more specifically at the wedding, it was an event that changed my primary focus of my documentary. Originally I was going to solely focus on the injury of Coach Coy and the incident down in Nashville. It would have revolved around Scott with other characters providing supplementary information. However when I found out through an interview that Scott and Sarah were scheduled to get married before the accident, the wheels started turning. I learned that they still kept the wedding date despite all that had happened. Some suggested that they postpone the date, but the two were set on keeping things as planned.




After getting married and later having their first son Preston, it made me think. The story of these two and their relationship is unlike any other. Persevering like they did is something to be commended. Sarah stuck by Scott the whole way through thick and thin. When some might have decided to move on from that life, Sarah kept her ground. She loved Scott so much that she wanted to be there every step of the way. I felt that I needed to incorporate Sarah as a co-main character. The dynamic of their relationship is truly a special story that I want to tell to my audience.




 To check up on how Scott and the Westminster Titans are doing just click on the link below. 






2 comments:

  1. Connor, I really love the pictures you've used in your articles. Perhaps a way you could enhance it is, when you are making a conclusion such as, "Sarah kept her ground," maybe put in a piece of video to show how you came to that conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new title, Connor. I'm a little partial to a good play on words, especially if it works in the whole idea of the story. Sounds like Sarah is emerging as a key player in this "fumble recovery". I look forward to hearing more, I think football combined with romance is a winning combination in getting the attention of both genders. Good job.

    ReplyDelete