Thursday, September 6, 2012

Here I go....On the road again

             Today I am getting prep work done for more interviews that I am scheduled to shoot tomorrow. One of these interviews will be with Head Athletic Trainer Shaun Toomey. Toomey will supply his medical expertise regarding the injury Scott Coy suffered at the Opryland Hotel. I also want to ask him about the role he played with Coy's physical rehabilitation process. Another interview that I am conducting tomorrow is with Westminster Head Football Coach Jeff Hand. I want to get his take on what went into the decision process to keep Coy on staff. After the incident there was some national publicity given that didn't show Westminster College in the most positive light. The story was put on the internet by groups such as ESPN and USA Today. You can check out the links below.




http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3831034

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2009-01-14-coaches-hospitalized_N.htm


Pre-Production research played a key role in helping me get more familiar with my topic, primarily Scott Coy. With the many talks that I had with him before even touching a camera, I was able to get a better understanding of the events through his eyes which really helped me centralize my focus. However it was the interview that I had with his wife Sarah that really helped me hammer down a solid storyline. I talked with her about the incident as well as the role she played in his road to recovery. It was apparent to me that their relationship strengthened through all the trials and tribulations that they faced as a couple. Take that and add the fact that they were scheduled to get married a month before the day of Scott injury. I thought "Bam!" now there's a story. I want to show my audience the strength and determination of two people through some of the most extreme circumstance. I want to convey the loving relationship between Scott and Sarah and show how that has helped them get through all of this.



No comments:

Post a Comment